Help at the right level
At Dymocks Tutoring we recognise that every student is unique. That’s why we’ve designed and implemented the Success and Excel programmes. These programmes are tailored to match the individual learning pace, needs and aspirations of learners at key stages of their journey. They’re also designed to enable students to move between the programmes as they find their confidence and their marks improve.
So what are the Success and Excel Programmes?
The Success Programme is tailored for learners who need a little more time to master content at their grade level. It recognises that some students may lack confidence or have learning gaps that need care and attention. This programme ensures that they get time and attention to remedy any gaps. With mentoring from our caring tutors we know they’ll improve over a period of up to 12-months which is also why we offer the Success Guarantee. The Success Programme covers the core Australian Curriculum (what your child is learning at school) in the order of the curriculum and at a pace that gives time for development and improvement.
The Excel Programme is tailored for learners who are doing well but are looking to accelerate their progress and are already confident in the subject. This programme is based on the Australian Curriculum but at a depth and to a standard that challenges students and prepares them to achieve the highest results. Students need to be independent learners who are willing and able to be held to higher standards of academic performance. Given the expectations around academic performance and the completion of homework, it’s not a programme that is for all learners.
What are the benefits of the programmes?
By having two learning programmes we ensure that students are treated as individuals, not numbers. That’s important to us because we’re a family business (have been for 144+ years) and believe in personal care. We understand that students progress at different paces and have different expectations from tutoring and that’s why there are two programmes that allow us to cater uniquely to the needs of foundational students as well as high achievers.
The beauty of our approach is that students are free to move between the programmes based on their needs at the time. There’s no fee to change and classes are generally on at the same time and day ensuring that a student can move without affecting their schedule (or the family schedule!).
Do students get different resources or have different expectations?
Students generally receive the same resources regardless of the programme they are in because we map to the Australian Curriculum so you can be confident in what they’re learning and that it ties to the NAPLAN. Where the programmes differ is:
- The pace of the group sessions: Success sessions will go through content at a slower pace. Excel students are expected to have completed pre-work and be reasonably confident on content. That means there’s less time explaining and more time working on the more challenging exercises.
- Homework: both programmes have homework. However, homework is a compulsory part of the Excel Programme and students are expected to complete it each week. We ensure that it is a manageable load but it is important that students set aside adequate time to complete.
- Attendance & Participation: we always aim to encourage participation from all students. However, in the Excel programme it is a requirement that students commit to good attendance and to active participation in the study group.
My grades have improved throughout Year 12. I’ve found that Dymocks Tutoring has really supported me, especially with their resources, notes and access to teachers. Dymocks Tutoring has really helped me become a better learner.
Improve your mark and rank at school by getting a head start on your subject. Potentia courses are three months (one term) in advance of the school year. Vertical streaming ensures that all students can be extended to their level of ability.
As you achieve success build confidence in your ability. This will help you not just at high school but in your journey of lifelong learning.
Continue to build a solid foundation for your future success both at school and in life. Learning at Dymocks Tutoring helps you to be expert in your subject which prepares you for post-school learning.
Ready to try a better way of learning?FREE TRIAL
Frequently Asked Questions
What is covered in year 9 English?
Our year 9 English course reinforces analytical, literacy and communication skills to form the bedrock of success for future English studies. Students will work with various text types to learn and develop their writing abilities.
How do I start studying year 9 English?
Our private and small group courses are available to students once they successfully enrol in our year 9 English course. Students will begin and end each lesson with a quiz to master concepts and receive valuable real-time feedback from our experienced tutors to identify further areas for improvement.
If you have any concerns or queries about enrolling, don’t hesitate to reach out to our friendly customer service team, who will be happy to help.
How many terms are in year 9 English?
Our year 9 English course has four terms:
- Term 1 — The first term will discuss Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet as the basis for their textual analysis and essay writing. They will learn how to analyse and create effective speeches and multimodal presentations.
- Term 2 — Students will complete narrative and persuasive writing and a critical study of visual and written texts.
- Term 3 — Novel study and genre study will teach students critical skills in textual analysis, such as thesis statements, paragraphs and essays, and how to establish tone and purpose in persuasive writing.
- Term 4 — Through studying film and poetry, students will learn how to write thesis statements, analytical paragraphs and essay writing.
Each term will end with a final assessment where students can demonstrate their understanding of relevant concepts and receive valued feedback from their tutors on areas to improve.
How much does year 9 English cost?
Dymocks Tutoring charges $445.50 per term for year 9 English. You can save 10% with discounts, which makes it highly affordable. It includes nine weekly lessons per term for 1.5 hours per lesson and access to one-on-one tutor support.
Dymocks Tutoring offers a free trial so students can determine if our year 9 English tutoring is the right fit. After all, our focus is on ensuring our students’ success in their studies.